Ageless Age with Edge

Ageless Age with Edge
welcomes you twofold

Friday 12 March 2010

Haienwatha and the Hart-Crown of Hickory

Friday afternoon, the Twelfth of March, I dreamt. I had somehow been appointed a 'Rescuer' of some ten to twelve 'White Brides', all abducted by Eastern Native Americans in a wild past age, or in some remote future when America was being rebirthed.

Each bride had been force-wed to a powerful chieftain. I don't remember the early 'rescues' I made (or what I did with the Brides), only the last one, for my pursuer outdid any Indian I'd ever seen, living or dead. I felt a temptation even to worship him. In fact, he's one of my great heroes.

The Indians were riding over broad grass-grown hills by the sea, and I fled before them with a beautiful White Bride on a proud white horse, over a stream and high bank, over a hedge and stone fence into a meadow of oaks.

Behind me, on the plain, I saw an army of thousands. The plain rang, and clear voices vibrated like trumpets. I heard resonant pealing shouts of "Hiya-WATHA! Hiya-WATHA! Hiya-WATHA!"

The great Chieftain, an Iroquois (my own bloodline, since Cherokee were Iroquoian) came riding behind, and he had a tall upright crown of hazel and hickory rising up from his shoulderblades and collarbone on either side. They rose up vertical like small trees, gnarled and finger-limbed, intertwining like wicker. It struck me to the core, and I wanted to follow him...but I was leading his bride.

I climbed a tree with the White Bride, while an Indian guide climbed up with me, telling me if I wasn't brave enough to kill Hiawatha, he (my guide) would kill ME.

And up he came up the tree after us, and I stabbed Hiawatha between the collarbone and the neck, about three times, while my guide said earnestly: "There must be blood. I need to see blood."
And there was blood. I don't think he died nevertheless.

I was stung with remorse, and bewilderment at what was happening, for I so admired this Hiawatha/Haienwatha. What a great and sad irony that this namesake of the Onondagan follower of the Great Peacemaker (Deganawida), and enforcer of the Peacemaker's vision, fell under my blade in my dream.

No comments: